Crafting Efficiency: Building a Guild Equipment Tracking System with Flask, Firebase, and WordPress
Like I said, I’ve never done something like this before, so I’m going to use ChatGPT as a teacher/project manager. So the first thing I did was told CGPT what it is I want to do, and how I want to use it.
My ChatGPT Prompt
I want to develop a web application for the Fredericksburg spinners and weavers guild called GECACS. It stands for Guild Equipment Check-out and Control System. The guild librarian needs a way to track the guild’s equipment. The guild has equipment stored at the studio and different member’s homes. The librarian needs a way to track the piece of equipment, when it is checked-out/in and to whom. I imagine the app will use Firebase for the databases. I will do coding in Python, and the app will be hosted on our WordPress website. I have never developed a web application and I would like for you the help guide me through the process.
- Define Requirements:
- Collaborate with the guild librarian to define specific requirements for equipment tracking. Understand the necessary features and functionalities.
- Database Design (Firebase):
- Utilize Firebase as the database platform. Design the data structure to accommodate equipment, member details, and transaction records in a NoSQL format.
- Choose a Web Framework:
- Opt for Flask as the web framework for Python, considering your familiarity with the language. This choice aligns well with Firebase for backend development.
- Set Up Development Environment:
- Install necessary tools, including Python, Flask, and Firebase SDK for Python. Configure your virtual environment to manage dependencies.
- Coding the Application:
- Begin building the application by breaking down tasks. Develop routes, set up Firebase connections, and design templates for the frontend.
- Database Integration (Firebase):
- Connect your Flask application to the Firebase NoSQL database. Utilize Firebase SDK or a similar library to facilitate seamless interactions.
- User Authentication (Firebase):
- Implement user authentication using Firebase Authentication to control access. This ensures secure tracking of equipment check-ins and check-outs.
- Regularly test the application, covering various scenarios to ensure its robustness. Test Firebase interactions and authentication thoroughly.
- Deployment (WordPress and Firebase Hosting):
- Deploy the application to your WordPress website. Utilize Firebase Hosting for backend services and consider integrating the frontend into your WordPress site.
- User Training:
- Provide comprehensive training for the guild librarian on how to effectively use the application, emphasizing the new Firebase backend.
- Project Management (Jira):
- Implement a project management system using Jira. Define epics, user stories, and tasks. Choose between Scrum or Kanban based on your team’s preferences. Use Jira to track progress, assign tasks, and facilitate communication.
- Maintenance and Updates:
- Plan for ongoing maintenance and updates. Utilize Jira to track issues, prioritize updates, and ensure the long-term stability of the application.
Define Requirements – so let’s get started.